The Genzyme PAL Awards grants program was launched in 2011 to encourage bold new ideas and programs to support the LSD community worldwide. The PAL program funds innovative projects in disease awareness and education, community mobilization, non-profit development and good governance activities, patient care and support programs. Overwhelmingly successful in its first three years, Genzyme is pleased to launch the fourth annual PAL program in 2014. A total of $100,000 will be awarded through small, competitive grants to nonprofit, charitable patient organizations that seek funding for new initiatives that support the LSD community. All eligible patient organizations may apply for a maximum grant of $20,000.
As a result of the incredible response from the global patient community, several important updates have been made to the program. Please see Recent Program Changes below for more information.
The submission period is open from February 28, 2014 until June 6, 2014. All applications must include the following in order to be considered eligible: a project proposal, completed Application Form, and an accepted Terms and Conditions. Please see the Apply Now page for the Application Form and the Terms and Conditions. The application process includes the following steps:
- Step 1: Develop a 3-page proposal and budget outlining your proposed project. Remember, PAL Awards will not be considered for projects that have already occurred.
- Step 2: Complete the online Application Form and agree to the program Terms and Conditions by June 6, 2014. Attach your three-page proposal and budget. You will receive notification from the online application system that your application has been submitted.
- Step 3: Judging period occurs from June 7th through early September.
- Step 4: All applicants will be notified of the results by mid-September.
- Step 5: Recipients will be publicly announced by September 30, 2014.
We strongly encourage all applicants to apply online, through this website. If you are unable to apply online, please contact us.
Recent Program Changes
Please note that program enhancements and updates to eligibility requirements are made annually. We encourage applicants to review the Grant Guidelines and FAQ carefully before applying. Below are some of the most recent changes to the program.
- PAL Award recipients are not eligible to reapply for one year after the receipt of their Award;
- However, prior year recipients are permitted to submit joint proposals with 1 or more patient organizations
- If a PAL Award recipient wishes to apply for a future award, a Final Report (or Progress Report) must be submitted prior to the submission of a new proposal.
- Organizations that participated in Genzyme’s Proposal Writing Workshop are prohibited from submitting a proposal for the same project
"We are genuinely grateful to Genzyme for this opportunity to further cultivate and foster a strong sibling community which will also give parents and providers a deeper understanding of the sibling experience."
Proposals are reviewed by an External Review Committee and selected through a blinded selection process. Proposals are reviewed using a set of established criteria as explained in the grant guidelines. The Review Committee is comprised of up to six committee members with expertise in such areas as philanthropy, rare disease advocacy, rare disease research and treatment, communications and non-profit management. The biographies of the External Review Committee members will be made available on this website.
Genzyme works with patient organizations around the world.
Genzyme Rare Community
Stay up to date on important work in the LSD and rare disease communities.